Know-How To Take On Your Toughest Legal Challenges

After the crash: You can get compensation for losing a job

On Behalf of | May 11, 2018 | Car Accidents

When you got into a crash, the last thing that you thought was that you’d be unable to return to work. You thought you were fine, but after weeks of recovery, you don’t see yourself being able to work any time soon.

You’ve been left with chronic pain, and you’re still rebuilding your strength. Your medical provider doesn’t see you returning to work this year, and potentially for longer than that.

What should you do?

The good news is that you can pursue a claim for any lost wages caused by a car crash. If, in a more severe case, you lose your job because the employer can’t have the position remain vacant, then you may be able to file a lawsuit for special damages and general damages as well.

With special damages, you can claim for lost wages, benefits, business opportunities and profits. With general damages, you can claim for the loss of earnings you could have made in the future and for your loss of earning capacity, which are a result of being unable to work.

It’s typical for insurance companies to receive claims for lost wages, and losing a job isn’t as uncommon as you may believe. If you do lose your job, you’ll need to show how much money you’re losing each year. This may be multiplied out by the number of years you’re expected to keep working and potentially adjusted for possible raises and inflation.

Our site has more on what you can do if you’ve been a victim of a crash and have lost your job. The other driver should face consequences for his or her actions.

FindLaw Network